Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Let's Talk Cardio!!!

I remember the first time I went to the gym to work with a trainer. It was an incredible experience. He pushed me to the limit and even though sometimes I objected or whined about how much I couldn’t do it, I did.  Those were some excellent workouts that he had me doing and until today, I cherish the thought of having someone get you to know the power that you truly have within. 

During one of my sessions, the trainers were competing against each other. Their trainers were to do a series of exercises, workout progress and more.  One of the tests us trainees had to do was to run on the treadmill for 12 minutes. Since that was a part of my daily routine with him, I knew it would be a piece of cake.

I started on my 12 minutes and when I reached a mile, I got a little lazy and stopped really pushing. I ended doing about 1.1 mile in 12 minutes. While I thought that was great, the rating I received was average. I was surprised but also motivated to come up some.

Everyday from that point on, I was on a mission to do 1.5 miles of running in 12 minutes and after a few tries, I accomplished it.  Bally’s Fitness Club seems to make it even easier for their customers to stay on the treadmills. For one, now the treadmills have fans on them.  Seems a little odd right?  You are on the treadmill sweating and having the fan blow right at your chest. Catching a cold was my initial worry. Yet, for some reason, I seem to look for the ones with the fans now because it makes the running experience great.

Another thing is that Bally’s has these big screen televisions strewn across the wall. On some screens, you can watch the videos of the exercise music that is streaming in the background.  Others show sports programs. Then there are other screens that have popular shows on them. The television is a good option. Though sometimes I like to bring a magazine to read while I am walking, you can’t really read and run at the same time; so the television is a good distracter from checking the time left ever two seconds. There is something else and better to focus on.

Though running is one of the most effective ways to lose belly fat, it is not the only exercise that you can do to give your heart the love it deserves. Jogging, speed and moderate walking are also great cardiovascular exercises. If you are the type of person who enjoys sprint running, run.  Some people might prefer jogging; so jog.  But jog to the best of your ability to nurture your heart.

If you are unable to run, don’t let it discourage you from showing your heart love.  Walk! Walking is excellent. Next time you get on the train, get off one stop earlier than normal and walk. Instead of getting off the train and waiting for the cross town buses, walk the three city blocks. Three city blocks are equivalent to a half a mile. Instead of driving to the supermarket up the block and around the corner, walk. Do a community walk. Even some of the marathons get individuals who instead walk for five miles. Not only are they great workouts but they are also charity events.

I actually tried walking home from school one day. A 2.9 mile walk took me 45 minutes and I felt invigorated. It is not about distance or time but more about doing the necessary actions to keep your heart healthy. The more exercises you do that benefit the heart, the less of a chance you have for developing preventable diseases.   Why not do something for your heart today and get into the keep your heart happy and healthy exercises. 

If you know of any others that might benefit each other, please share it because I am very interested. Hope to be chatting with you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment