Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Saga of the Hooptie Series - Introduction

I decided when I was 29 to finally get my driver’s license because it was time and really overdue. I passed the test and on my way home from it, my driver asked me my next step as a newly licensed driver and I told him that I would need to start looking for a car.  He said, “I have one.” And that is when my life as a truly disgruntled New York City driver began.

I think it was with much impatience that I raced into the purchase of my first vehicle. I had positive expectations on what I believed to be an excellent selection. I was getting into a 1998 Nissan Altima with only 79,000 miles on it. I know they say there are proper procedures that must be followed especially when buying a used car but like a rebellious soldier, I didn’t listen. When the previous owner told me that I would be getting a great car for just $1,500, I should have connected the dots. Basically you get what you pay for. But I wanted a car and I got one and that was my mission accomplished.

At that moment of transition, I had never been behind the wheel of a car by myself except for with my instructor. I got great training and so I felt ready to drive. But it was kind of embarrassing when he left me with the car as my own for the first time and it took me about 15 minutes to figure out how to even get it out from where it was parked in that driveway. 

Being a backseat passenger for such a long time, I knew how to get everywhere.  If you figure 29 years of being driven everywhere, I had more maps than Farmer's Atlas programmed in my mind to get from Point A to Point B of wherever I decided.  I found out so many things about myself in those crawling moments, and I truly appreciate them for what they were because of where I am in life now.

As for my first vehicle, I purchased a car with a great engine. For a vehicle that was over ten years old and with not a lot of mileage in it, the Altima ran great.  But never did I expect to come into as many different episodes with it. And so begins my new series: The Saga of the Hooptie.  If you have time and you are interested in reading some of the different things I have experienced as a new driver, please stop by and check them out. You might get a chuckle here or might even be surprised at the things that I have seen in my Nissan’s day. But as we begin this 2012, I can't help but think about those moments that at the time seemed troublesome but now seem humorous yet worth it. All I can say is, thank God for AAA.  They came in handy for every episode.

Leave a comment and tell me about your first car or hooptie and if you feel like it, subscribe. Hope to be speaking with you tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by.

Links to Consider

My Green 98 Nissan Altima - Enter Here

Word of the Day: Pollyanaism - Enter Here

Valentino - Enter Here

Jazzy Endings to Rain - Enter Here

Biking Times - Enter Here

The Stress Less Guide - Enter Here

The Parking Non-Violation - Enter Here

No comments:

Post a Comment