Thursday, February 9, 2012

Spotlight on Black History: Yesterday Inspires Today & Tomorrow


It is Black History Month. So I thought I'd celebrate the history that people of color have made and are still making everyday. The following is a series of "Hand-Made by Stephanie" Collages and some quotes from some of the world's most empowering black history makers followed by a few links. Celebrating Today & Tomorrow; for everyday is a day to acknowledge and be proud of all the things black people were able to accomplish and to inspire in others.


"My philosophy is that not only are you responsible for your life,
but doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment"
- Oprah Winfrey


Black History is being made everyday by both the young and the matured


“It is the Lord that doth supply, with his Redeeming Love.” – Jupiter Hammon
“When you have mastered numbers, you will in fact no longer be reading numbers, any more than you read words when reading books You will be reading meanings.” - W. E. B. Du Bois

"It's always been a gift with me, hearing music the way I do. I don't know where it comes from, it's just there and I don't question it."Miles Davis
From left to right, you see the past and how it has inspired the next photo or generation(s).

I made decisions that I regret, and I took them as learning experiences... I'm human, not perfect, like anybody else.” – Queen Latifah

"The duty I owe to the slave, to truth, and to God, demands that I should use my pen and tongue so long as life and health are vouchsafed to me to employ them, or until the last chain shall fall from the limbs of the last slave in America and the worl" -  William Wells Brown

I was the conductor of the Underground Railroad for eight years, and I can say what most conductors can't say; I never ran my train off the track and I never lost a passenger.
Harriet Tubman


Art breathes and carries on the beauty of the work and the artist who made it into hearts of the inspired

"If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I've had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it." – Michael Jordan
“For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.” – Nelson Mandela
Black History Makers that ought to be celebrated; We are a product of legacies that inspired carrying on visions

 “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” – President Barack Obama

There in one view we grasp the mighty whole, Or with new worlds amaze th' unbounded soul.”  -  Phyllis Wheatley



LINKS TO CONSIDER











“Believe in life! Always human beings will live and progress
to greater, broader, and fuller life.”  
- W. E. B. Du Bois

No comments:

Post a Comment