Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sunday Inspiration Times


I have come to a beautiful reality that is also an ugly truth. It’s inevitable; I’m getting old. There is no dancing around the issue. The unbareable truth stares back at me every time I look in the mirror. I can feel it in my bones and the achiness that takes time to be relieved. But if when I turn 70 and I am dancing like the woman in the picture beside this paragaph, I will be happy. She resembles someone with true joy and truly living. That's how I want to be when I get up there in age.

If it wasn't something I already was aware of, my younger sister makes sure to remind me that I am not young anymore and also a friend let me know of it the other day. I wore my hair in a ponytail and my friend said, wow, you have a gray hair right there, visibly on top. She didn't only reveal something to me that I already knew was there but let me know that I am getting old.

It’s funny. When my sisters started to get gray hair, they cried.  I can’t understand, even until this day why people pluck them if they just come back in bunches. My mother had a full head of grays for a long time before she even started to get old and it looked so beautiful on her then and still does. And she never seemed to try to cover it up. Her hair turned gray and she kept it. Some people do not like the idea of having gray hair though.That was my siblings; crying and plucking.  Crazy enough, when I got my first gray hair, I got happy. 

The Bible says in the book of Proverbs Chapter 16 and the 31st verse that gray hair is a sign of righteousness.  Who am I to doubt the word of the Lord?  I had a choice. I could either cry because gray hair is obviously a sign of age, or rejoice that I actually have goodness in me.  If gray hair is a sign of righteousness, I guess I am not so bad after all.   

Okay, I won’t really call myself old.  I mean, I am only in my twenty-thirteenth year.  I have lived just over about a billion seconds of life but still have an infinite amount to go because I am not done living yet.  But, I have come to the conclusion that I cannot do the same things any more. Even if I wanted to, my body won’t let me. 

I used to be able to live life without sleeping. For instance, I would work my 9 – 5, and then go home to get dressed to come back and be a part of an exciting movie shoot as an extra. I was happy just to be a part of things like this, even if I wasn't the starring lead,  I was in a scene in a motion picture.

The sets would last all night. I’d get home at 4:30 just to get an hour of sleep and go back to work and work all day. I was able to endure it. But now, once it starts getting late, I am ready to sleep.  If I choose not to sleep, I become like a narcoleptic unable to keep my eyes open.

Mother Mitchell
Getting older doesn't mean anything but the fact that one is not young anymore. One has matured as they were intended to. Every seed when watered blossoms and stands tall and pulchritudinously towards the sun until it is ready to wilt. Even with that knowledge, I have come to that beautiful reality I spoke about earlier that  I have a few things to look forward to. 

 The mother of my church, Mother Mitchell, was 107 years young before she was lifted up on eagle’s wings and carried home to the Savior. You would think a person with that many years under their belt would be slow in movement and not as classy and witty as she was.  She was full of life, attitude and pep in that step. She could share stories about life before most of us were even a thought. She was someone any average person could learn something fascinating about the world from.

Just maybe, it might be me living until 107 and being able to tell young kids about what happened a century ago.  Can you imagine telling someone in a hundred years about the first black president of the United States? That would not only be awesome, but will also be an interesting thing and if that is something that is in the cards for me, I definitely look forward to it. 

I know that even then at 107, I will be singing because how can I be silent and not share my anointing.  I plan to be doing exactly what Psalm 30 says in which I will sing until the end and will honor my father who anointed me.  I love to sing. Why not? I want people to remember me as the girl who loved to sing, just because; even if there is no further rising with it. I am happy just to be able to hum a tune and find total comfort and joy there; wherever I am and whenever I can. 

Why deny ourselves of the joys of life because we are not young anymore?  We are still in the land of the living. If not now, when?  Getting older is not being diagnosed with the end. There is still life to be lived. So live.

I aspire to be just like Mother Mitchell, my grandmother, my mother and all the inspiring older woman who show the world that the Lord has built them strong; full of life, energy, joy and never denying to live life to the fullest, no matter what age I am. And I plan to dance into each era full of pep and with acknowledgement of the new day God created just for me.

All that is to say, I may have grays, but that doesn’t truly mean I am old.  I am however older.  I have many experiences and gained wisdom over the years and I am grateful for all of it; the good and the bad.  God has been excellent to me in every way and I am just thankful for all he has done. And when that day comes when I am up there, I pray I have a wonderful story to share just like the empowering mentors who have blessed my life with theirs.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Face The Music

The following is a video of a song that I originally wrote for a friend of the family. It was her birthday and she was turning 70 years old.  The song was a song of inspiration I call "Face the Music."  Life is the music and not matter what the day brings, life dictates that we must face it; like age.  I pray you take the time to watch it. 



Thank you for checking out my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment