Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is For Gladys Knight is the Genuine Definition of Soulstress


Gladys Knight is just one of those awesome singers that I have loved over the years. I remember as a kid, watching her videos stream across the television. She used her big voice while moving soulfully across the screen with the Pips. It was impressive to watch.

She is the genuine definition of Soulstress. Her voice is incredible. Very soulful and powerful. She has this flow that is just different and I appreciate who she is as an artistic woman. I feel she is a great musical icon to listen to as a singer because she exemplifies how to truly use your instrument generously well.

It has to mean something to be an eight-time Grammy winner. I am even more impressed when I watch her sing even today and her voice still has that quality that it had years ago.  Makes me think about my own voice and how I use it as a singer. I could only hope to be like her when reaching her age and also being able to maintain vocal power. She is definitely a singer/artist worth exemplifying.

Some of my favorite songs that I’ve heard from this woman of song are Midnight Train to Georgia, Neither One of Us,  I Heard it Through the Grapevine, The Nitty Gritty, The Friendship Train and her version of I Feel Like Makin Love, just to name a few.  I also loved the soundtrack to the movie Claudine/Pipe Dreams.  The Pips and she did a wonderful job on those tunes.

I was genuinely happy while watching the 2011 Soul Train Awards when she was awarded with a Legend Award. The tribute to her contributions to this world of music was great. Many artists gathered to let her know that she inspired them including Jazmine Sullivan, Natalie Cole, Marsha Ambrosius and more. 

I am also happy to see another side of Gladys as she shows the world her dance moves on Dancing With the Stars.  While partnering up with Tristan McManus to bring some soulfulness to the dance floor, she also makes this competition interesting to watch. This is the first year that I actually take time to sit down and watch the show. Not every singer dances, but Gladys does it and she does it well.  What I get out of it feels good to my soul. Listening and watching great artists like Gladys Knight, makes a difference in my world.

2 comments:

  1. Gladys is indeed a contemporary music legend who has earned a place in entertainment history. Good choice for G and happy to have you join us in Blogging from A to Z.
    For my G prompt I chose Al Green, another music legend.

    Lee
    A Few Words
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love music. Wow! Al Green. I loved him too. He was very soulful and brought a whole lot to the music stage. I can appreciate good music like the one that he would bring to the world. Makes a difference in the listening experience. Especially today. I go back all the time.

    ReplyDelete