Monday, April 23, 2012

T is for To Jazz With Flowers (A Poem)


I grew up listening to artists that shared
their artistry with love and an energetic flair
and jazz became a love for me and my ear
listening to their styles sometimes brings a tear

I remember planting a garden in my yard
if you know anything about gardening, the work is hard
I planted seeds of sunflowers hoping they would rise
summer came and left and only one rose up high
with its petals beautiful and classy like jazz divas of song
put a smile on my face that lasted the rest of my life long

Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn and Lady Day
Lena Horne, Nina Simone and Carmen McRae
weaving into the mix of instrumentalists blairing their sounds
and adding to it the effect of a Queen with a crown
with their long fancy dresses, gloves and flowers in their hair
they'd sing and scat and dance and entertain any patronizers there

Flowers and jazz singers, jazz singers and flowers
the love in my heart for them seem to tower
and the blessings of the scent and sounds accentuate my air
that love has lifted its arrow and pinned a flower in my hair






No comments:

Post a Comment