Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V is for Vision of Love

Vision of Love did it for me.  I think it might have been the first song that I ever heard on the radio by singer, Mariah Carey. It was a tune that showed her strength, range and versatility. And that’s when I fell in love with Mariah's music. I was only in the fifth grade then and felt as if her voice was another voice that I needed to be listening to as much as I could.




I loved her lyrics. Perhaps it was the way she assembled her words to sing them to the world. I liked that her voice was strong like Whitney’s, fierce like Michael Jackson’s and light like Minnie Ripperton’s.  But I also appreciated the harmonious soul that was present in her music. She always had great background singing involved that reminded me of church music. It was great to listen to on any given day. Every verse got stronger and at the end, she added an exclamation point to it that made it great.  That seemed to be a recurring theme in all of her songs.
Vision of Love was my favorite song for a long time. Mariah Carey has been one of my favorite singers since then. Her range is ridiculous. She sings with so much emotion. She commands control of her breath and that is not an easy thing to do. Plus, her songs are hot.

I have all of her CDs.  My favorites are Mariah Carey, Butterfly, Charmbracelet and the Emancipation of MiMi. I can almost sing every single song on those four albums word for word. Well, that’s most likely because I play this song list of solely her music sometimes and just sing away at the top of my lungs just because I love to sing and also because her music moves me.  Oddly, my favorite song by her is not on any of those afformentioned albums.
Make it Happen is my favorite song and it is on the Emotions album.  Often times, I do a rendition of it on stage when I do my own performances. I can never compare to the greatness of her sound, but if you are interested in seeing my cover, check it out here: Make It Happen Cover

Other of my favorites by Mariah Carey are Fly Like A Bird which is an awesome song, Anytime You Need a Friend, I Only Wanted, Butterfly, Can’t Take that Away, Hero and I Love her versions of O Come All Ye Faithful and O Holy Night. Her Christmas albums are awesome. This woman sings her ass off in every sense of the word and I just love that about her.

I have yet to see Mariah Carey in concert but maybe someday. I did however see her standing about 100 meters away from me one day in the filming of her movie Glitter. I was a background extra in the part recorded inside of Club Limelight in a dancing scene and she was right there before me. That was pretty cool.

Until this day, I still love her song Vision of Love. I guess you can say when something touches your heart, often times it never leaves your spirit, like love.  I love Mariah Carey. She is a big influence on me today and one of those artists that I can say makes me want to try to be a better vocalist; like her. Maybe it is just because of my love for singing, but she is definitely a great singer to listen to. She is definitely one of my all-time favorites; ever since I had a Vision of Love.

2 comments:

  1. You has a great blog. I'm very interesting to stopping here and leaves you a comment. Good work.

    Lets keep writing and share your information to us.

    Nb: Dont forget to leave your comment back for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate your comment and am looking forward to reading your blog.

      Delete