Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Sore Not So Ballerina


Usually, Monday is the day when I take a yoga class which is great for me because after all the working and stress on my muscles from the previous week and weekend, my body deserves a good stretch.

But this week was different. The instructor was on vacation and the class was replaced with something different that I'd never taken before. I decided to try it to see what it was all about. Somehow, God has put into my heart to work out and ever since, I have been more active than I have been in years. Just from hearing the name Ballet Barre, the thought never crossed my mind that I might be a bit sore for the next few days.  

I have to give it to people who professionally dance ballet. I had no idea they worked out so intensely. However, now I understand why they have such great posture and poise.  It takes a lot of strength to able to complete some of the given tasks. Ballet barre was definitely not one of the easiest classes I've taken thus far and what I found to be one of the harder ones.  

 
Items used in the class are a yoga mat, weights, a block and a resistance strap.  The class begins with a little aerobic warm-up and then moves into working with weights.  I have taken body sculpting classes and usually use 8 lbs free weights and I am able to handle all the repetitious pulsing. But after a while, my arms got so tired of pumping the weights up while doing pliĆ©s and other lower body movements that I actually had to change to less heavier ones to complete the workout; hence, why my arms have been a little sore ever since.

Then the instructor had us doing lower body work. We used the wall as our barres and went from leg lifts to balancing on one leg and doing rond de jambs and more leg exercises at single and pulsed out paces. But imagine being on one leg doing and working that leg out for like ten minutes straight before moving to the other leg. Her exact words were, "I know it hurts but I promise we are almost done." Other things practiced in the class were pilates-like movements and a few yoga poses to work the stomach and back; hence why my legs and abdominals are sore.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into by taking ballet barre but I have to say, it was pretty good. Sometimes I need to be a little challenged. I would definitely take it again. My body gets the workout I am looking for and I find some energy to be able to endure for the rest of the day. But even if I take it again, I probably won’t have as much stamina as the little ballerinas in the following video dancing to my favorite classical tune, Beethoven’s “Fur Elise.”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment