Sunday, July 28, 2013

What is this thing, called Jazz?

Who knew that when you say that you are changing that it is because you have already changed and there are more changes on the way?

It all started when I was in high school. Not so far fetched of a thought to say that my sister was one of the coolest people on the planet to me.  She was beautiful, strong, a music lover, had such a great personality and she also rapped and even had a voice to sing.  I was always a music lover but never thought about listening to jazz music until she told me that it was really good to listen to while studying because it enhances your ability to remember.  I guess that is when I started listening to jazz. If for nothing else, something to carry into college years and beyond; especially since I was then in the twelfth grade when jazz creeped into my heart.

My love for it has never died. I like instrumental jazz a lot and also vocal jazz. Nothing like listening to Dizzy Gillespie with his Bossa Nova grooves or John Coltrane saxily play a song I learned to loved from my favorite movie (The Sound of Music). I cannot deny that even from then as I did, music had become one of my Favorite Things. I also appreciated Ella Fitzgerald, Carmen McRae and I am really loving Sarah Vaughn and Shirley Bassey. I just never expected to sing some of the standards they sang. But then a blessing came and changed my whole idea of singing and all of a sudden, I am singing a genre of music that I loved but really never experimented with until now.

Picture courtesy of Photographer David A. Powell
 
Okay maybe I did not consider the jazziness in me, as I am a member of the Medgar Evers College Jazz Ensemble.  I guess you can say I am still changing, trying to gain more confidence in this hand-made instrument God applied to my fearfully and wonderfully made being. Great to know that God is not through with me yet and I am glad about it. Thank you Lord. God is good!!!

As I said, I am new at this. I still have my training wheels on, but I'll be able to ride without them one day.  Which is why I am asking for your support.  If you got time, come out to one of the next events where I will be singing jazz. Hopefully, I won't disappoint you.

UpComing Events

Jazz with Attitude is every Wednesday Night including this upcoming Wednesday, July 31, 2013 from 8:30 PM to 11:30 PM. Hosted by tenor saxophonist Jeff Sheloff and keyboardist Wayne Holmes.  This event takes place at 217-01 Linden Blvd in the Cambria Heights section of Queens, NY.  I will be the featured artist there trying not to pretend to know how to really scat.  LOL!


Me and Lowell Hawthorne,
Founder of Golden Krust Bakeries
This Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM, please join me in front of the state building in Harlem, NY on W. 125th Street and Adam Clayton Powell Blvd for the Harlem Summer Stage Jazz Night.  I will be doing a short set of jazz songs there.

My First Jazz Quartet Event

Today I had an opportunity to sing at an event at the home of the founder of Golden Krust, Lowell Hawthorne. It was a scholarship fundraiser by the Golden Krust Foundation raising money to further education and it was some what of my first jazz event.  When I say I am new to this, it was such a blessing to do two sets of jazz tunes with a trio of musicians, bassist Kim Clarke, keyboardist Prrrl and tenor saxophonist Herb Williams. Please watch this clip of one of the songs we did together at this event. What I appreciate about this song is the Name, "I Hear Music;" carries so much meaning in simply the title.



 
One thing that has not changed in all of this is that music is still my first love.

No comments:

Post a Comment