Tuesday, October 8, 2013

They Called it Stormy, But Jazzy Mondays in Brooklyn

What better way to celebrate Music Monday then to emerge yourself in quality sounds? And, what better a borough of New York than Brooklyn to settle your heart in and allow the music to fill your soul?

This was definitely the case at For My Sweet, a cozy little jazz spot located at 1103 Fulton Street between Classon Avenue and Clover Place in Brooklyn. Lately, I have found myself desiring to hear and become involved in some of these jazz open mics and I found one not too far. Brooklyn is definitely a great spot to enjoy music and For My Sweet had just the amount of jazz my heart was craving.

If it is not the jazz paintings that are scattered all along the walls of this sophisticated oasis, it is the great lighting that creates a nice, intimate mood. I felt comfortable getting up there to sing one of my favorite Etta James tunes, “At Last” and how encouraging to see such a welcoming crowd of beautiful people.  To top it off, there were so many different  musicians, poets, true entertainers and also Ras Chemash Lamed who sounded just like Frank Sinatra. I will definitely be back there for of their upcoming open mic nights happening every first Monday of the month.

Or better yet, grab a friend or two and head down to For My Sweet next Monday, October 14, 2013 and catch some of the wonderful music that will be played by the CBJ Quartet from 7:00 PM until 11:00 PM.  It will definitely be a night worth being a part of.

Hopefully I will make it there before 7 so I can get into the pre-open mic portion of the night. Maybe we'll see each other there.

No comments:

Post a Comment