Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Inspired Poem


A lot of times we as writers and poets are inspired by things of the world.
Oddly enough, my latest poem was inspired by a few things. For one, my attitude at work! I know where I am and I know how I react to music but I can’t resist. I listen and then get into bopping and even sometimes singing, though I know where I am. Makes me laugh to know how much music really does make me whole because in all actuality, I carry it in my spirit and sometimes it bleeds out of me without me even realizing it.
Something else that I was inspired by was somebody else’s reaction to my reaction to the sound of music. So I’m listening and I can’t sing at the top of my lungs like I love to, so I whisper it. But never realized that people could actually hear my whispered singing until the other day when I did it in a mic at a recording and it actually played back a whistle I never knew was there in me. For them, they say it as crazy and laughed at my individuality. I guess it can be a little crazy but I will never choose to be a second rate version of someone else and can only be me; even though I am a little insane in the membrane.  Just a little!
As opposed to them seeing it as a reason to bring me to psychiatric wards, it was something that made me smile which was another inspiration for this post.  Mama Kat’s writing prompts featured one starting point for a blog about something that made me smile.  This is definitely a reason to not only smile but to laugh at myself. MY passion is funny. But I will never let it slip away. Music is me and that is all I can be.
So here is my poem entitled, “Dance The Night Away,” done as improv to a track my friend Armand Collins created.  I am not the best at spoken word, but I do love to write poetry.  Here is the link to it on youtube:
 

 
Lastly, I was inspired by a Jazz Poetry Café that I will be a part of on March 20, 2014 at Brooklyn Nights located at 497 DeKalb Avenue in Brooklyn from 9PM to Midnight. Poets and singers, please come out and grace us with your talent. Can't wait!!! 
 
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog everybody.
 
God bless you!!!

 

4 comments:

  1. Coming at you from Mama Kat's... and you are awesome! Poet and a lovely singing voice... well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that. I appreciate you. Headed to your blog now. Peace and love!!!

      Delete
  2. Well you got me movin'!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mama Kat. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!!! :)))

      Delete