Wednesday, October 1, 2014

A Year of Jazzy Strong Arms Around Louis

Mama Kat is always inspiring some cool blogs as she did this one. What was I writing about a year ago?

2013 Reincarnated

A year ago around this time, I was taking jazz classes with hopes to learn how to scat. I came across a great jazz improvisationalist named Marion Cowings and he gave me guidance on the art of jazz crooning; though I have found that jazzmusic is still one of the most difficult genres of music to grasp. After listening to his CD and heard his cover of the Flintstones, I wrote a blogpost about his song and his class, among other things.

A year ago, I was writing about songs that have been reincarnated and my blogpost started with an image of Louis Armstrong. Check out the old post here, written on September 29, 2013: The Sounds of Reincarnated Music.

To look back and see where you were is interesting when you look at the here and now at what has occurred since then. For one, I visited the home of Louis Armstrong, now a museum located in the Corona section of New York.

Louis Louis

It was awesome to see where he lived, how he lived and to learn more about this fascinating jazz musical icon; especially about the song "What a Wonderful World."

The lyrics itself are wonderful. A truly positive message is reverberated through the words and sound. And Louis sang it so beautifully. Louis was a type of person who loved where he lived and he loved his neighbors. The children all around loved him and would call him Uncle Louis. These song was written in honor of them because he loved coming back to Corona and enjoying life and his surroundings; especially the children. Made me find a little bit more respect for the song and made me want to sing it.

And so, I did. Still trying to grasp jazz singing, I am always trying a new song. I learned the lyrics and melody to "What a Wonderful World," and sang it; live. I changed the key to Bflat but, this song has so much meaning to me now that I fell in love with it.

Please check out the live footage of my performance of the cover of "What a Wonderful World" on Youtube. The following is the link:
 


Thank you for reading my blog post.


No comments:

Post a Comment