Thursday, August 18, 2016

My Favorite Way to Cool Off from the Summer Heat

In the heat of the day, when the sun is the warmest, I like to interrupt the train of sweat surging from my pores with the raging waters of the ocean. I enjoy shaking off the catatonic heat of hot summer days on the beach.


So I travel during these times when the rays of the beaming sun starts to drain my power, and try to remain grateful for the warm weather I asked for, though I complain a little bit because I start feeling hotter than a broiling beef rib. Instead, I exploit the momentum of the season where sand faces refreshing waters that I can swim in. Hot and humid days offer this opportunity and what a great one to revel in.

Through the hustle and bustle of New York city traffic I race desperately in pursuit of being tossed back and forth by the waves of the sea as it spirals out of control in its tide.  I feel this deep satisfaction after I park my car and walk on to the boardwalk and see this beautiful view of nature, not fashioned by human hands. 




There’s no treading lightly on the sand because it is so hot I want to run for relief for my feet. I am usually successful at finding a spot to set up my little claimed territory on the sand and suddenly, I am laying there on my beach blanket reading the works of Pliny while listening to Miles Davis Bitch the jazz Brew on his trumpet.

Next move is to feel God’s water on my body. What a great way to shake off the heat that has taken over it! Just putting my feet in the water makes an indelible impact on me. I always have this grand illusion that the water should be warm because of the piping hot weather but, what a wonderful problem to have.

The water is my antidote to the poisonous humidity. I steep in it like a cinnamon apple spice tea bag and am refreshed. The waters fit snuggly into my taste buds. People all around me with the same idea are all having a wonderful time. Throwing myself into the pull of the water suddenly mends everything because once I come out, the heat seems irrelevant and the sand, no longer so hot that I have to run through it with my sandals to avoid its hot temper. I can embark on its stretch shoeless.

When I go to the beach, no longer am I parched for a relief from the summer heat. Sure it is a fleeting pleasure but I must say, jumping in to the waters of any ocean is my favorite way to stay cool.


2 comments:

  1. It does feel so good!! You captured that moment of relief from stifling heat so well!

    ReplyDelete