Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Cold Turkey

The gleam in my eyes sparkled as I saw an opportunity to bum a loosey off the oncoming smoker. I had this passionate love with Newports and I was not going to let another smoker pass by without giving me one. I had been gripped to the affair with cigarettes from high school and from then it turned into a pack and a half a day romance.


Do you know how many cigarettes that really is? Each pack has 20 in it which means, it took 30 cigarettes to satiate my craving. Thank God it was back then when packs were about $2.25. Whew! 

I started becoming aware that I loved it more than I should, noticing that I needed one every 45 minutes. I strategically planned each break by the cigarette that could satisfy my craving. 

It had this endearing trait, I thought, and it continued to wrap my attention as would a great book. Was it a deep character flaw of mine or was it just one of those things that pasted a smile on my face that made smoking become a part of my daily grind?

Family and friends tried to compel me to think differently about cigarettes, telling me that it was not the thing for me. I was living in a social landscape where I felt as if everyone was against me and my relationship with the stogie. Then I started feeling as if I had to hide our alone time just so I could be around others without them judging me, though the pungent aroma told a different story that I couldn’t lie about. That was when the nuance of emotions that had me clinging to Newports started to loosen its hold on me.

Though I struggled with many attempts to let it go, I just decided I did not want to do it anymore, put the cigarettes down and never went back to it. I think the easiest way to give up something you want to eliminate out of your life is to do it cold turkey. Now when I get around someone who is smoking, over ten years later since I had me last smoke, the aroma of the cigarette turns my stomach.

If you are like me, maybe you struggle with climbing mountains to make that change from smoker to non-smoker; here are some ideas that might help to to contain the urge:

1. Whenever you feel tempted for a stogie which for me was every 45 minutes, have a piece of chewing gum, candy or a snack instead.

2. If you are stressed out at your desk and your relief tends to be a smoke, why not use the time to engage in a conversation with someone in-person or on the phone. Take a walk with you friend if you are used to moving away from your desk since that has been your routine.

3. Don’t focus on the hope of the next cigarette break. Instead, engage in an audio book and focus your mind on that. Might help you to forget if you are listening to something biographical, action-packed or romantic.

Some other things I quit cold turkey are

Alcohol Drinking . . . (I Was Once an alcoholic)
Doubting in my Singing and Songwriting Ability
Believing what Naysayers Think
Allowing Church Folks to Drive Me Away From Church

How about you? Care to share? What had its grip on you that you eliminated out of your life and are thankful for? I tell you; the list-making of things like this, only increases self-love and awareness of how much of a powerful individual you really are. 

25 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you quit cold turkey. I think that is the only thing that works for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah./ It is worth using your will-power to accomplish good things

      Delete
  2. Wow cold turkey. That is inspiring. I have know many people who have had a long battle with quitting drinking and other vices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They should try it and I bet they'd succeed.

      Delete
  3. Going cold turkey is really hard. Not many could do it with success. You are an inspiration. (commenting for Sarah Bailey)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great that you stopped. I really wish my hubby would quit, plus it is crazy expensive now. Last time I bought a pack was in college. Those were the days when you could smoke in bars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank God you don't have to leave every bar and restaurant smelling like a saloon.

      Delete
  5. I was a smoker for many years, longer than I should have been! I am like you and had to quit cold turkey. I recently did that with my sugar intake also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations. I did the sugar thing for lent one year. But now, I eat candy,. still don't add sugar to my coffee or teas though.

      Delete
  6. Any vice is a struggle to overcome. I applaud your efforts to make a change. Best of luck with your journey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Change is hard to bring one self to do and Good luck for you to conquer the smoking and other habits
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for quitting! It took my mom awhile to quit but I'm glad she did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband had a heart attack at 40 years old this past June. He was a smoker. He quit the day he was in the hospital and hasn't had one since! It hasn't been easy at all. He has used a patch but it still is a struggle. He changed his lifestyle in eating, exercising, not smoking. Changing habits is not easy and its a continued process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smokign was the hardest thing for me to every quit because it is so addictive.

      Delete
  10. Good for you! Quitting smoking is HUGE!!! My husband struggled many years with smoking. He is not tobacco free yet but I am happy to say that he is smoke free. He has vaped for a couple of years and hoping to become fully free this year.
    Congratulations on your accomplishment.
    :)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see many people use the vaper. That must be a helpful way to ease the addiction.

      Delete
  11. I used to smoke half a pack a day too, a long time ago, and quit cold turkey (twice!). Second time I started smoking it was once a month or so when I was out on the town drinking. Haven't had a cigarette now in over a decade! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Good for you. Like Al Jarreau would say, "We're in this love together. Love it!

      Delete
  12. It's great that you can quit smoking. It's not only good for your health but also for people around :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on quitting! You've taken such an important step towards improving your health and that's great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's definitely worth putting all your will power and getting rid of these addictions . They can be such a damage to your health

    ReplyDelete