Thursday, March 16, 2017

The Writer is Always Reading . . .Criticism

They say that the writer is always reading and the reader is always writing.  And then you read comments on things you write and sometimes wonder what you did so wrong and it often leaves you discouraged? At least me, anyway. 

I will not be sucked dry by people who make me doubt the things I choose to write about. I will not accept drama served on a plate by those who I support who look at me as if it is a burden because they dislike the fact that just like them, I am on a journey, even if we are not pursuing the same things. I will not allow intruders to enter into my spirit and break me away from my joy because they feel that what I have to offer is not something that interests them.

I too meander through traffic of things that do not benefit my life at all, just because I would want to receive it as effortlessly as I give it. I can’t stop folks from feeling annoyed because I talk about the same thing all the time. You can give a sharp nod of understanding to someone who owns no pets, has no kids, does not really care about toys, Beauty and the Beast, what is on sale at Walmart or baseball bats and still am happy to be exposed to it without feeling as if it is a threat to my day, because I love to read. 

I share my favorite pastime because it is heartwarming for me. I sometimes ache in wanting acceptance. But who doesn’t? I inspire my own faith and hope. But if not me, than who?

You may not realize how hard it is to share what you conceive with the world and hope that it is well received by others, to have ricocheted back in a response, in not so many words, how much of a waste of time it was to do the same thing I do for their journey. But I do it. I sing. I write songs amd I write about my experiences as an entertainer. I am slightly matted into love with the art of it and it gives me deep enjoyment, like a pet lover who loves his dog and shares dog food recipes that I will never feed to a pet that I’ll never have. Yet, I attend to all that is going on because when ideas float freely, you might be inspired by something you saw or read. I don’t wait in open arms to know what great bargains was found at the Dollar Tree, what is going on at a theme park I probably will never visit or about eating the largest hamburger to ever put to a human’s mouth. But I come across it and participate in acknowledging and receiving what it is that is being offered as an unbiased reader because the writer of what is being read, pushed to be their very best and felt that it was something worth sharing.

I write because I love to write. I write because there is a story dying to be written. I write
because it makes me feel human. And I write because that is a part of who I am.

I read because I love to read. I love to jot down ideas. I love to see how someone else phrases something. It is not the topic, it is the writer. It is not the subject, it is the paragraphs. It is not the main idea, it’s the sentences.


This is the life of writing in my opinion. The writer is always reading and the reader is always writing.  

44 comments:

  1. I love to write too! I get my thoughts out on paper and it can remind me later when I need something to read. I love it! Keep doing what you love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you still use paper. I love writingg in my journal. Fun!

      Delete
  2. I love reading. It's my escape when I need a break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you said you write because that is a part of who you are! Such powerful words, to know your passion, and be able to pursue it, be proud of it is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of the best and most accurate closing sentences I've ever read. All writers are readers and all readers are writers. Deep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. A mentor of mine uses that as her motto.

      Delete
  5. Good for you!! I agree Readers and writers are on in the same!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's quite an observation. I've never thought of it before, but I am always writing alternatives when I read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am hesitant sharing some details because of criticism, but I guess that's part of the deal when you are writing to an audience bigger than just your mother. I write because it's a great outlet for me. If people care to read it also, that's good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharing our creative sides are so important! Believe in yourself and keep up your confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading is my life next to listening to music. books are my escape though i also believe they are the window to ones soul if you look deep enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are like me. I love writing and music the same.

      Delete
  10. WOW! First who the heck made you feel you should EVER doubt your craft, your art, your talent? Shame on them! You my Miss Music are an amazing human being! You bring ME joy when I listen to your music. Your writing is also TOP NOTCH! I truly enjoyed in a sense reading this. So well written. Yet sad at the same time. Then also empowering!
    I thank you for putting up with those of us who are too busy in the hum drum of the "real world" to stop and just simply enjoy the music!
    LOVE and Peace XOX

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so true about writing. I write to free my soul, to be alive, so breathe, and sometimes just to pay the bills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freeing the soul is a great reason.

      Delete
  12. I love to write in my journal at night. I find it relaxing and a great way for me to process the day. I am always nervous to show people my work. I try to look at the criticism in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! As a writer, I can totally relate to this. I write because there are times where I can't express my words in speech (especially right at the moment)... but writing out all of my feelings helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reading and writing are my two favorite things. I can't imagine a life without either one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reading is my habit especially when I have my me time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Victoria HeckstallMarch 17, 2017 at 12:41 AM

    I love writing, I can express myself by writing from my emotion, reading is my break.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love to read, but I'm not a good writer. Reading is my way to relax.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so hard not to criticize. I always criticize my work.... maybe a little too much lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so right! I'm always writing when I read...... I agree Readers and writers are united in this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. People like to try and steal your joy. Try not to let them bother you and it's always nice to have a friend or loved one there to lift you up whenever someone wants to be mean and try to knock you down.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like to read, and I only like writing in my journal. I'm not the best writer.

    But remember haters going to hate, you have to ignore miserable people. Don't let them bring you down!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have always wanted to say similar things but could not put it into words. I really am feeling this one, good read!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Reading and writing have always been my favorite - since I was a little kid. I need to get back to journal writing and really do wish I had more time to dedicate to reading!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I try to remember to have the strength to be vulnerable. Sharing such personal things you create can definitely make you feel vulnerable when you're not sure how they will be perceived, but it's also such a strong thing to do. Not everyone can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sometimes I write a really good post and get bummed out when it doesn't pan out with my readers.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautifully written and so true. I had heard your music many of times and just love it. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love reading. It sends my soul to any place. I love writing too because I want to be heard even in silence.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This post is just everything. As a blogger I feel the same. I write because I want to be heard and share my story. It even helps me a lot to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh man yesss. this is an awesome post. i started blogging because i love to write. it helps me in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Reading and writing are the best therapies out there if you ask me! This is great - and this is exactly why I love to blog!

    ReplyDelete